Sunday, January 08, 2006

I don't know how many of you, if anyone, is reading my blog.
But here are some photos of my latest activity that is nothing to do with music, one of my other hidden talents (among others), is HEDGE LAYING.
It is one of the MOST satisfying solo activity jobs that I know, I love doing it. With the physical nature of the work and a continuous fire in the background, you can keep warm. The constant decision making of which wood to remove, thick log size, bent or straggly stems, harvesting some bean poles and of course the pieces you want to lay. The weaving into a solid barrier so that each piece is under tension in its place makes it very creative and the trimming up to look good and rounded all add up to be very rewarding when you look back at the job. Plus all the tidying up of the trimmings and stoking the fire.
These are some photos of my work in progress, this style is called the Dorset half round and the hedge is an old boundary hazel hedge.
I would very happily hedge lay for all the quieter winter months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home